Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Feeling Ansy

Where is the summer going?  I had hoped by this point that I would feel bored and ready to get back in the classroom... but I've just been so busy, I haven't sat still long enough to get bored.

Last week Whitney and I were counselors at Sea Camp at Texas A&M University in Galveston...  Seven days and six nights of thirty six middle school boys, long science lectures, hot and sweaty field trips, cafeteria food, and a tiny dorm room earned us 24 hours of professional development.  It was definitely an experience, but I've yet to decide if it was a good enough experience for that number of hours.  Some moments were really fun, and other moments were really frustrating.  Let's leave it at this: I'm glad I did it with Whitney, it cut down on our weekly grocery bill, and it inspired some lesson/field trip ideas for this upcoming school year.  Oh yeah, and we got to see loggerhead sea turtles at the NOAA turtle barn.  That was definitely a highlight of the week.


On the last day of Sea Camp, my mom picked me up and we headed up to the mainland to hit some thrift stores.  All summer I've been hunting for bargains on professional clothes at thrift stores, consignment shops, and department outlets.  I've been pretty lucky - I've found enough pants and blouses in brand new or like new condition that I could wear something different every school day for a month.  And many of the clothes I have found are designer labels!  Always a plus.  Here's a few of my favorite finds... 4 came from the thrift shop, 5 came from an outlet.  Without the Goodwill tags, you couldn't tell the difference.  Mission accomplished.


This week I have felt really ansy.  I've done the normal routine... on Monday I made the snacks for Financial Peace... yesterday morning I volunteered with GUM... and I spent all yesterday afternoon helping a friend with a project for her non-profit organization... between volunteering, Brent and I took a look at our budget and made some adjustments.  Whitney and I started running again, in hopes that we might be physically ready for a twelve week training program for another half marathon.  Yet this week, I feel like I have gotten nothing accomplished and time is slipping between my fingers.  I haven't been sleeping well.  I've been waking up stressed for no apparent reason.  Not really sure what is going on with me, but I need to snap out of it.  Maybe it's the bad hair cut I got on Monday... Or the fact our house is an oven.  My kitchen is so hot that a bag of chocolate chips completely melted in my cabinet.

This afternoon's the beach, Friday's a day with Abby and a family cook out, and this weekend's a camping trip with friends.  Let's hope that does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment