Sunday, May 20, 2012

Meet the Neighbors

Bucket List #5: Meet the neighbors

So far I've met two sets of neighbors... 

I met Lonnie when I moved in a few weeks ago, but I've only seen him a hand full of times since and it's usually just catching a glimpse of him as the door closes shut or from across the parking lot.  Because of our thin walls, though, I know that Lonnie likes war movies and that he usually showers in the evening time.  His truck doesn't seem to be gone at the same times every day, so I'm thinking he doesn't work a nine-to-five job.  I think he's about my dad's age.   

This afternoon I met the Hartles.  They have a sign on their front, personal stairwell that says "The Hartles" so when I saw the same elderly gentleman standing on the little porch time and time again, I thought it'd be safe to ask him if he was Mr. Hartle.  First name's Carroll, and he invited Brent and me in to meet his wife Dana.  Their first names are also on the sign, but it would have been a little awkward if I told him I knew their names already, and not only that, I also knew what vehicles they drive and what time his wife leaves for work.  (But, hey, when you're a woman living alone on an island with a few odd birds here and there, it's good to know a little about your neighbors!)  Anyway, Carroll and Dana seem like really nice people.  Probably a little older than my parents. Been living here for about a year in one of the enormous historic units, and just signed on the lease for another year.

I'm looking forward to getting to know people around here.  It's about time I lived somewhere I knew my neighbors again, and Galveston seems like a great community to do just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment