Sunday, October 6, 2013

Art Bound

Last night several teachers from my school participated in an event called Art Bound to support SMART Family Literacy, a non-profit organization committed to putting new high quality books into the hands of children in need.  Liz Turner, the founder and executive director of the organization, has been supporter of KIPP Coastal Village since it was established on the island and she has helped me tremendously in planning high quality field lessons and classroom activities centered around Galveston Bay.  So when Liz asked us to be a part of Art Bound, we were more than happy to sign up!

Art Bound is a competition where teams are challenged to create a piece of "book art" using old books on the spot in two hours or less.  Our team decided to create planters.  We think they turned out really awesome!  Each planter had a theme - some of them were made of children's books, some of them were culture books, some were sports, etc.


Here's the one that I created.  It's theme was American wars... theme chosen because that's what I saw a lot of books about in the pile available to choose from. :)


Art Bound is also supported by professional artists in Galveston.  One of my favorite local artists - Gabriel Prusmack - made a piece of book art on the spot!  If I was a reading teacher, I totally would have tried to score this piece in the silent auction.  I plan to own several of his pieces one day!


After Art Bound, we headed out with the Polks and Kosareks to check out the rest of Art Walk.  Art Walk in Galveston just might be one of my favorite places for people watching - Galveston's most interesting characters are always sure to make an appearance!  Last night did not disappoint.  As soon as we were leaving Art Bound, a little old man walked by rolling a wagon covered in Mardis Gras beads with a rabbit wearing a tiara.


We headed over to Rene Wiley's Gallery on Post Office and 23rd, where our friend Rachel Wiley Janota was having an art show.  She's another one of our favorite local artists and I'd also like to have a piece or two of hers!  The painting on the far right is of a church just a few blocks from our house, but it looks like she painted it sitting in a city on the Mediterranean. 


After walking through her gallery, we all headed to Hot Taco, a new little taco joint on the Strand.  Brent and I ordered quesadillas to split, not really expecting much... but, wow, I think these might have been the best quesadillas I have ever had, stuffed full of chicken, peppers, and different cheeses!    


It was so much fun to support Liz and SMART Family Literacy in such a creative way, and even more fun to spend the evening with our good friends making book art, people watching, drinking wine, and chowing down.  Looking forward our next downtown Galveston adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment