Saturday, October 12, 2013

Actions speak louder.

It's October - two months into the school year - and even though I feel like I met my students ages ago, I am just now feeling like I really know them.  Well, most of them.  Some of them I haven't quite figured out - like the one who gave me this bracelet.

Backing up - this past week I had morning duty in the gym, which basically entails one of me trying to keep about 100 students seated in lines by homeroom for about 20 minutes.  Some mornings I was more successful than others.  Thursday morning was particularly rough - one of my students, despite several warnings, would not remain seated and wanted to wander around the gym.  As a consequence, I asked the student to move and sit against the wall, away from her homeroom.  Her response: squinting her eyes, swinging her arms, and stomping her feet as she screamed, "I HATE YOU."  The rest of the morning didn't go so well in her classes, and she ended up in ISS for the remainder of the day.

Friday morning came, and again she gave me a difficult time following our gym procedures.  She finally complied with a grumble and was able to stay with her homeroom.  Later that morning, during second period which is one of my conference periods, I looked up from my lap top and she was standing in my doorway.  Usually when students come to my room during my conference period, it's because they need a time-out from class for misbehavior.  This time, though, the student came because she had a gift for me.  She made this bracelet for me in social studies class.  They have been studying Native Americans and were making jewelry with animal symbols.


Of all the teachers, I was surprised that she chose me to make a bracelet for - especially after her outburst on Thursday morning.  It reminded me of our KIPPism - "Actions speak louder."  Even though the student had spoken such harsh words to me, her gentle action said so much more and reminded me why I should continue to love on my students, even when they don't deserve it or love me back.  It ended my week well, leaving me reflecting on why it is I do what I do every day.

By the way, I looked up symbolism behind seals.  A few sources said that seals represent "movement through emotions."  I thought that was appropriate for the extreme contrast between her words on Thursday and her actions on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment