Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Comfort Food

Today was better than yesterday, but I'll admit I watched the clock all day long.  Yesterday and today have just been so stressful with STAAR testing.  I didn't think it would really weigh on me, especially since neither of the tests were in my subject area, but I think it was just the combined stresses of my worried co-workers around me, being shut in a room for four silent hours, and  having no off period because of test scheduling (therefore no prep time to get my classroom ready for the afternoon and no planning time for next week) that really got to me. 

Tonight I just needed a good dinner and a night at home.  I tried a "new recipe" that's been on one of my Pinterest boards for ages.  I use the words "new recipe"loosely because technically I cooked all of the ingredients the same way I always do... it's just that tonight it was all the same dish.  This made my evening because... 

1. I got this dish as a wedding gift and I've been looking for a good excuse to use it.  

2. I only had one dish to wash as opposed to a baking pan and two pots.


It's two frozen chicken breasts thawed and  seasoned with Weber's Zesty Lemon Seasoning, canned green beans (drained and rinsed), and 5-7 quartered red potatoes tossed in olive oil and rubbed sage.  You drizzle it with 1/2 cup melted butter, and you cover it with foil.  Then bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for one hour.  Brent and I ate every bite!  It was delicious!  Next time I make it, I think I'm going to try fresh green beans and fresh chicken.  It's really easy to double to a 9x13 pan so I'm going to add it to my list of go-to dinners for when we have company over.

I also did a little housekeeping.  I'm always proud when I muster up the energy to do that after a long day at work.  I don't think I'm housewife material - I love my job too much and I get ansy after just a week or two of freedom in the summer - but I'm definitely looking forward to the day that Brent is working full-time and I have at least the option to be one if I chose to!  I don't know how my mom worked full-time, raised two kids, cooked dinner every night, and kept a clean house.  The older I get, the more amazing I realize she was and is!  This wife thing is going to be a circus act! 

No comments:

Post a Comment