Sunday, April 14, 2013

Can't Stop, Won't Stop, Will Never Stop Eating!

Brent and I love to eat.  We love to cook and eat at home.  We love to eat at our family and friends' houses.  We love to eat out every chance we get.  When we dream about the day we will have two incomes, it always comes up that we will try new restaurants and hit up our favorites any time we want to.  We'll eat out every Sunday, and we'll actually order both drinks and food at Happy Hour (as opposed to choosing one or the other!)  These past few weeks have held some really good eats for me and Brent... good enough that I think they should make an appearance on the blog. :)


Last Friday we volunteered at Turning Point Gulf Coast's Annual Fishing Tournament for the Physically Challenged.  Before the big tourney, they have a huge shrimp boil out at the Galveston Yacht Basin.  We spend the afternoon serving food and passing out condiments, and at the end we got enjoy all the shrimp, corn, and potatoes we could eat! [Bucket List 9]


That following Saturday was our friend Kyle's birthday party.  I was excited to have a good reason to use my icing decorating tips so I volunteered to make the cake!  It turned out pretty good for an amateur cake decorator, I'd say!  More importantly, it tasted even more amazing.  It was a chocolate sour cream cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting.  I got the recipe from Whitney's book The Cake Mix Doctor, but you can get the recipe online here.  It was so easy, very moist, and extremely sweet - a perfect birthday cake for any chocolate cake lover.


This afternoon we used a Groupon for Farley Girls, a cute little local restaurant that's open for breakfast and brunch.  It's definitely on the top of our list for Galveston restaurants.  It's the type of place you could eat every Sunday after church or that you would take out your out-of-town-family.  Brent tried juevos rancheros and I ordered the breakfast pizza.  I would pay good money to get a peek of their cookbook for that pizza recipe! [Bucket List 8]


A few weeks ago I watched my friend Whitney make a quiche, and since then I've had a hankering for one!  So today she gave me her mom's recipe and I tried it out this evening.  I made one with ham and the other with bacon - both turned out absolutely delicious.  The recipe is definitely a keeper, and I'm excited to try different combinations of cheeses, vegetables, and meats.

It's a good thing that I've been running, or else I would be gaining weight like crazy.  Even after this half marathon, I'm gonna have to keep it up.  This wasn't even half of the good eats we've had over the last two weeks!  (Chic-Fil-A and Mosquito Cafe were some tasty experiences too!)

Anyway, it's time for a hot cup of tea and lesson plans.  We are seven instructional days away from STAAR testing, and perhaps blogging about food has been yet another desperate, subconscious attempt to avoid working outside school hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment