Sunday, November 10, 2013

Getaway Weekend: New Braunfels and San Antonio

This is my new favorite picture of Brent and I.  Why so happy?  Three words. Beer, sausage, and lederhosen.


Last weekend we took a road trip with friends off the island to New Braunfels for Wurstfest!  We ate porkchops, sausage, potato pancakes, and apple sauce to our heart's delight!  We saw the master yodeler and watched the Opas and Omas dancing in their lederhosen.  It was so much fun - one day I hope that we can go Oktoberfest in Germany - but until then, Texas-style will do.  :)


After Wurstfest, we said good bye to our friends and headed to San Antonio for a romantic evening on the Riverwalk!  We got to our hotel just before sunset.  Our room faced the Riverwalk and had a beautiful view of downtown.  It was so nice to walk down the stairs and be right there in the middle of everything!

We decided to have dinner at Casa Rio on recommendation of friends, and even though it was a bit of a wait, it was well worth it!  We were seated right on the water, and the food and sangria were absolutely delicious.  We will definitely go back to eat there next time we are in the neighborhood!

 
After dinner we continued along the river and stopped once more for cheesecake before walking back to our hotel room.  It could have been a full stomach or it could have been the six feather pillows, but I slept better than I have slept in what seems months.  We woke up early the next morning, recharged and ready for the drive home, but not before one last outing downtown.  We headed to Starbucks for coffee (and I actually ordered coffee - and I actually liked it! Usually I'm a tea drinker, but the words "Spiced Pumpkin Latte were just too tempting to resist) and then to Einstein Bros Bagels for fresh bagels.  No Texan can go to San Antonio without seeing the Alamo so we took our bagels to go and had breakfast in front of the Alamo.


It was such a wonderful weekend all around.  Downtown San Antonio is truly a gem in Texas - and I can't wait to go again!

1 comment:

  1. I have trip envy all over again! I'm so glad you two had a lovely getaway to San Antonio! And you look gorgeous in your new favorite picture with Brent!

    ReplyDelete