This is the welcome board by my front door... I bought a large piece of slate at Home Depot, and Brent cut me a frame and mounted it. My homeroom college this year is Texas A&M University at Galveston. Sea Camp inspired me. :)
Below is a close up of my teacher sign! I made it with a $1.99 block that I bought at Hobby Lobby. I'm counting this one as #14: Paint a Canvas from my Summer To Do List! It's not often I paint something for myself - usually that talent is used to make gifts for others or volunteer at the church. I was really excited to hang it outside my door.
This is the front of my classroom. Since my homeroom is TAMUG and my KIPPsters will be the Sea Aggies, I thought I'd decorate with an ocean theme - hence all the blues and greens. The "Work Hard, Be Nice" is a KIPPism and the "WHISPER" palm tree in the back corner is part of our school culture.
Here's the main wall of my room where we post our vocabulary words, big questions, and important anchor charts. "Knowledge Is Power" is another KIPPism; KIPP actually stands for Knowledge Is Power Program. The blue signs above the tables are my lab teams' names. I painted these this summer on recycled trifold boards from last year's science fair. Team names were also inspired by Sea Camp. :)
Here's my back wall. It looks pretty bare right now, but I have big plans for it. I'm going to use the top narrow bulletin board to post pictures of my homeroom girls with their goals for when they go "to and through college." (Yet another KIPPism) There's a quote by Ghandi, who is one of our WHISPER heroes. And the tissue balls... well, I like tissue balls. They bring joy to gray corners. :)
The net will be for "Catching Compliments;" the girls will each have a clip and a bag for others to write sweet notes and drop inside. I'll introduce that as part of a culture lesson in the first few weeks. The cork board squares will be covered in a collage of pictures by the end of the year... last year my students LOVED re-living their favorite science labs and field trips through looking at pictures of them and their friends. I started with a few pictures from Summer By the Sea. So simple, but such a hit!
And here's my latest creation... Junk Jail! I made it with my old candy jar and electrical tape. Dad says this is evidence that I'm becoming a meaner and meaner teacher each year. You have no idea how many little trinkets and gadgets I will ultimately have to confiscate by the end of the year. The most common object I had to take away last year was the tiny little springs that come out of ink pens... Who'd have thought?! Anyway, whatever lands in Junk Jail stays in Junk Jail until parents come and bail it out.
Fried chicken and waffles! Served up hot with an ice cold Shiner. :) How's that for a late evening southern comfort food meal? #26: Make Breakfast For Dinner... Check! Didn't think that would be one of my favorite list items, but tonight, it was the perfect way to end a busy day.





No comments:
Post a Comment